RMT issues list of bus safety demands
The RMT has written to the managing directors of all bus operating companies requesting that they adopt the following practices during the COVID-19 crisis:
- a transition to cashless travel during the emergency
- enhanced cleaning and sanitisation regimes on buses, buildings, mess rooms, facilities etc. especially on common touch points
- assurance that toilet and washing facilities and hand sanitisers are readily available so that staff can comply with government guidance
- where screens are not currently fitted to buses, these to be installed to give drivers greater protection
RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: “Buses are an essential service being run for and by frontline workers. It is crucial that the health risk to both the workers that run the buses and the passengers who have to travel are kept to an absolute minimum.
“That is why RMT is calling for cashless travel, enhanced cleaning and washing facilities, and for screens to be fitted to all buses for driver protection as part of the fight against the spread of Covid-19.”
- Like this story? Please support our work here.